Sunday 8 September 2013

Bookers 7 years 1 month



Well on this day in Music History The Allman Brothers Band released Brothers and Sisters. It was their most commercially successful album, sitting at the top of the US charts for 5 weeks. That it is a fantastic album is undeniable. I however felt like listening to the Live at Fillmore 1971. One of the greatest live albums that I know of. The blues and rock jams are great for any occasion.

The Allmans being one of the quintessential southern rock bands I felt a bourbon would be fitting. I know, Bourbon is from Kentucky and The Allmans are originally from Jacksonville, Florida. Unfortunately this will have to do because I don't have any Floridian whisky in my collection. Come to think of it I don't know that any exist (if you do please let me know).

So without further ado... My Bookers True Barrel Bourbon tasting notes:

Nose: delicious. Actually I am surprised. It is better than the last time I tried it. and I was quite fond of it then if I do recall. For a whisky at almost 65%  it hardly has any burn. I get lots of caramelized sugar, cloves and a bit of citrus zest.

Palate: Wow. There is a lot of heat to this whisky. Through the burn I detected a lot of clove. The thickness of this whisky is almost syrupy. I was also able to detect a bit of wood and a slight hint of black licorice.

Finish: The finish is very long and dry. The cloves hang on strong while a woody smokiness is barely detectable in the background.

I found this whisky to be quite fierce and I though that it might benefit from some rocks. Please forgive me.

After Ice

Nose: There seems to be a slight floral tone added to the nose. I was also able to detect more fruit (can't tell what fruit specifically).         

Palate: With burn tamed I was able to detect a smokiness. Interesting, its like when you put the campfire out with water, a lot of smoke appears. Also added to the notes are herbal tones and some honey. This reminded me of Drambuie for some reason.

Finish; The finish is still long but the cloves are not over bearing any longer. They linger in the background while the smoke and wood take lead.


This is a very potent whisky. It is not for the faint of heart, nor is it easy to get to know. I do think that if one takes the time they may be pleasantly surprised.

 Have a great day.

No comments: