Monday 23 September 2013

Wiser's 18 Years Old - Limited Release




Today is a beautiful fall day with lots of colours out. I find something about this kind of weather to be uniquely Canadian. It therefore makes sense that it is a day to sip on a fine Canadian Whisky. The musical accompaniment is The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

One might be tempted to point out that there really isn't anything Canadian about the Beatles. I beg to differ. In fact, On the Sgt. Peppers album Paul can be seen wearing an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) badge on his shoulder. This was apparently given to him while on a Canadian tour. Some people like to point out that the second 'P' is obscured in such a way as to look like a 'D'. The badge would then say OPD: which in some circles stands for "Officially Pronounced Dead".

We are somewhere close to the 43rd anniversary of the start of the Paul is Dead Hoax (or conspiracy). This too has a Canadian context as I have heard one theory proposing that the McCartney replacement was from Ontario.

 The album artwork is full of references (or coincidences) that seem to indicated that Paul had indeed died. This is not the place to read about these signs but a quick Google search will reveal much. Besides the tying in of the Canadian theme, this is a solid album and probably in my top three of all time.

As for the Whisky... well let's get to it...

Nose: I get apples almost like a light cider as well as a delicious dose of warm bread pudding complete with vanilla sauce.

Palate: What an impressive time for "With or Without you" to kick in. A gentle prickle runs around the mouth. I am then treated to tastes of spice cake, apples and vanilla.

Finish: The finish I find to be quite short. I am left with a bit of that prickle. Before the fade the vanilla said one last goodbye.

Overall this is a fine whisky. I found the finish a bit short for my taste, but found the nose and palate to more than compensate for that.

Well have a fantastic night and thanks for reading. Time to return to the feeding of my senses.    

No comments: