Monday 7 October 2013

Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon

 
 
Hello, today is the 172nd  anniversary of the death of Edgar Allen Poe. Today I will raise a glass to a man who has had and continues to have a profound impact on much of modern entertainment. Specifically in the genres of mystery and horror. He also apparently had an influence on progressive rock. The Alan Parsons Project recorded an album entitled "Tales of Mystery and Imagination. The songs on the album retell some of Mr. Poe's works. Stand out hits are The Raven (of course) and Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether. I chose to post a tasting of the Four Roses - Single Barrel for this occasion. Other than the fact that both Edgar Allan Poe and Bourbon are American I thought the roses theme was also fitting. Apparently there is a tradition that has existed (not sure if it still does) where a person called the "Poe Toaster" would attend the grave of Mr. Poe while toasting him with a glass of Cognac (what? Why not whisky?). The toaster would then leave three roses. So I will now raise my glass and make a toast to Mr. Poe. He could likely never know how much his works would influence the world. His tales entertain us to this day. Cheers.
 
Now for the tasting notes:
 
Nose: I am instantly reminded of those old fashioned corn candies that are white, yellow and orange. This is joined by a blast of warm sugar and cherries. I also detected some red licorice. Delicious. 
 
Palate: I got a wallop of the warm sugar as if it were being cooked in something equally sweet, perhaps maple syrup. I also got a touch of ginger, and a pinch of pepper.
 
Finish: I found the finish to be smooth and medium long with a bit of a tingling sensation that prickles the taste buds with a sweet ginger and clove finale. Stunning.
 
This is one of my favourite bottles in my collection. It is wonderful from start to finish. Definitely a bottle I would buy again.
 
On that note I shall return to my "dream within a dream". Good night and happy tasting.       
 
     

No comments: